- A Christmas tree or Menorah may be the center of your holiday décor, but both can also be the central danger zone for your holidays. Trees, both real and artificial, can pose as fire hazards if handled irresponsibly. If you’re buying an artificial tree, choose one that’s flame retardant. If it’s a real tree, the needles should be green and should stay on the tree, even when it’s shaken or touched. Keep your tree away from heating vents and fireplaces, and never use lit candles as decorations. A Menorah can also pose as a fire threat if left unattended for long periods of time or if it’s placed near drapes or curtains.
- Keep your holidays merry and bright- and safe. Choose the proper lights - there’s a difference between indoor and outdoor lights - and always choose strands that have been tested for safety by a recognized laboratory. Check your sets of lights for broken sockets, frayed wires and loose connections, and never plug in more than three strings in one extension cord. No matter how festive they may be, always turn off your holiday lights before you go to bed.
- A roaring fire in the fireplace can be festive, as long as it’s tended with care. Don’t burn wrapping paper, as it can burn too quickly and cause a flash fire. Never leave a fire unattended, always ensure that ashes have stopped smoldering before you go to bed, make sure your smoke alarms are functional, and keep a fire extinguisher handy in case of an accident.
- Make sure toys are fun, not dangerous. Buy age-appropriate toys, and always read the instructions before allowing your child to play with them. If you have small children, take care to choose toys with no small parts on which to choke, or long strings, that can be a strangling hazard. For older children with electronic toys, choose toys with batteries over those that plug into the wall.
- Know what’s going on in your house, even if you’re celebrating elsewhere. Holiday travel takes us all over the country, reuniting us with friends and family we might not see throughout the year. With the right home security system, you can keep track of what’s going on in your house, and even receive alerts if something seems amiss.
During the holidays, as throughout the year, keeping your family safe is your priority. One-Stop Communications can help, offering home security in configurations perfect for every family, with home monitoring options to help you keep an eye on things, even when you can’t be there. For more information about home security systems, visit our website..